I’m addicted to Cupcake Wars on the Food Network! If any of you haven’t seen it before Candace Nelson, the Sprinkles Cupcakes Founder, is a judge on the show. I recently saw an episode and one of the guest judges was Natalie Slater from Bake and Destroy (one of my new favorite blogs). Bake and Destroy
As I was reading her blog, I noticed she was having a contest in which the winner would get 3 Sprinkles Cupcakes Mixes!! I have heard so much about these awesome cupcakes and was so happy to hear you can now buy mixes to make at home complete with their famous dot decoration! Check out their site! Sprinkles Cupcakes
Not only was the contest awesome but on the blog Natalie also posted the recipe for Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes and Strawberry Frosting.
Natalie Slater (Bake & Destroy) posted this recipe:
Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes (1 doz)
You will need:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pureed strawberries, measured in liquid measuring cup (use all-natural frozen strawberries that have been thawed and pureed until totally smooth)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
Add vanilla and strawberry puree to milk and set aside. In standing mixer, cream butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until full incorporated and fluffy. Slowly add egg and egg whites and mix on medium speed until blended. With mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture until just blended. Add milk mixture and mix just until blended. Add remaining flour mixture and mix just until blended. Scrape down bowl to make sure entire mixture is smooth.Divide batter between 12 cupcake cups and bake for approx 22 – 25 minutes or until tops are just dry to the touch . Cool cupcake pan on wire rack. As they cool, cupcake domes will fall. Once cool, cupcakes can be turned out of pan and frosted.
Sprinkles Strawberry Frosting
You will need:
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly cold and firm
- 1/16 tsp kosher salt
- 3 ½ cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp pureed strawberries (use all-natural frozen strawberries that have been thawed and pureed until totally smooth)
Beat butter and salt on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed and gradually add confectioner’s sugar. Beat until incorporated. Add vanilla and strawberry puree and mix on medium low until blended and smooth. Do not overmix, or the frosting will incorporate too much air. The consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice-cream.
I hope you make these and maybe even buy some of the mixes from their website…don’t forget to share!!