Sometimes life can be so busy. I’ve been intentionally trying to un-busy my own life. My coworker asked me if I was doing anything fun this weekend, and I smiled big and announced, “Almost nothing!”
In my defense, I offered… many times! He didn’t want any until day 3, and by then, they were long gone. I might try hiding them in the freezer in single-serving portions so that I have to wait for them to defrost each time I grab one to snack on… if they make it to the freezer in the first place…
So back to slowing down, these granola bars are an easy, relatively healthy, time-saving, eat-on-the-run breakfast. With the time you save, I hope you are able to slow down too.
DARK CHERRY CHOCOLATE GRANOLA BARS
Adapted heavily from Smitten Kitchen: see link above
(Makes about 20-30 servings)
- 1 2/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cups almonds
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Line a baking pan with parchment and grease lightly.
2. Mix dry ingredients together (up to nuts).
3. Combine melted butter, almond butter, corn syrup and water with a whisk until smooth.
4. Mix dry ingredients with wet thouroughly.
5. Turn mixture out onto a lined cookie sheet. Get a sheet of plastic wrap and use it to flatten and spread the granola out , making sure to press down firmly so it is evenly packed and about 3/4 inch thick.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, cool, and break into pieces. Enjoy!