I adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com
No fun stories tonight, sorry. Just really, really good chicken. And tequila. What more could you want???
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken
breast meat – cut into strips
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 green onions, chopped
2 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh cilantro
10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup tomatilla salsa
1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1. In a shallow dish or large plastic bag, combine vinegar, 1/2 lime juice, sugar, half the salt and pepper, 2 chopped green onions, 2 minced garlic cloves, and about a handful of rinsed, chopped cilantro leaves. Add chicken and marinade in fridge about 20-25 minutes. Do not overmarinade or the chicken will turn tough. (Yes I just made up that word. It’s a good word.)
2. While the chicken marinades in the fridge, combine the other 1/2 lime juice, salt, pepper, remaining garlic, green onions, and about 1/2 a handful of chopped cilantro with a generous splash of tequila. Also, combine minced onion, jalapeno and tomatillo salsa to make your tomatillo pico de gallo. Reserve for later.
3. Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about a few minutes until the first side is just starting to brown. Flip the chicken pieces over and pour the tequila mixture over the chicken. Turn your burner on high and cook the alcohol off. (DOn’t be sad. It’s worth it in the end)
3. Remove chicken from heat and tear into pieces with a fork or knife. It will be nice and tender and if you taste it it should have a citrusy, yet pleasantly sweet, flavor. Keep chicken pieces warm.
4. Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Or you could just microwave the poor things. It’s not like you’ll be getting any good tortillas anywhere in this area anyway (Tallahassee). ***IF YOU DO KNOW WHERE TO FIND GOOD ONES YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO TELL ME!!!***
Oh yeah, if you are really counting calories, a lighter choice is soft corn tortillas. They taste really great when you cook them in oil, but if you want to be healthy they are also very tasty when you put them in a small plastic bag with a few drops of water in the microwave for just about 10 seconds. This steams them. They taste better than any flour ones you can get around these parts, IMHO.
6. Serve chicken in warm tortillas topped with pico and shredded lettuce. And avocadoes. And margaritas. And mango flan. OH! Right, everybody’s still dieting. Forget that last part. Really, the chicken is VERY good on its own. 🙂