TRES LECHES CAKE
1 cup sugar
5 separated eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 3/4 cups evaporated milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
TOPPING: Use Cool Whip or if you have some whipping cream, whip it up with a little powdered sugar. Garnish with fresh berries if desired.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat 3/4 of the cup of sugar and egg yolks well, until light and fluffy. Then, stir in the milk, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder with a spoon. Do not overmix the batter.
3. Beat the egg white to soft peaks, adding cream of tartar after 20 seconds.
4. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cups of sugar and continue to beat until the peaks are stiff and glossy. Gently fold whites into the batter.
5. Butter a 9×13 inch baking pan and spoon the mixture in.
6. Bake 30-40 minutes. Let the cake cool completely (at least 2 hours), unmold if desired onto a deep platter or dish, then pierce all over with a fork.
7. Prepare the syrup by combining evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream and vanilla, whisking until mixed. Slowly pour the syrup over cake, spooning overflow back onto top until most is absorbed.
8. Top with whipped cream or Cool-Whip, garnish if desired, chill and serve.